The Company today known as Wescoal, has its origins in the Chandler family business. The family has been involved in the coal trading and logistics business for approximately 8 decades.


29 July 2015 Elandspruit mine delivers first coal to customers
16 July 2015 Wescoal and NUMSA reach 2015/16 wage agreement
9 July 2015 Mining starts at Wescoal's Elandspruit
24 June 2015 Wescoal again delivers growth results
May 2015 Waheed Sulaiman appointed acting CEO
15 April 2015 Green light for flagship mine as Wescoal gets its water use licence
Jan 2015 Water Use Licence obtained for Elandspruit
July 2014 Intibane’s life of mine is extended to 2016.
June 2014 Wescoal Mining acquires remaining 70% shares in Proudafrique to own 100% of the business.
November 2013 Conclusion of MacPhail coal trading business acquisition
15 April 2013 Intibane Colliery awarded water use licence and commences mining
6 September 2012 Wescoal awarded a contract to supply Eskom with 3.2m tons of coal
31 July 2012 Wescoal entered into various transactions with Xstrata to increase life of mine by 15 years
16 July 2012 Awarded mining licence at Intibane Colliery
15 August 2011 Sale of Blesboklaagte Washing Plant
7 December 2010
Wescoal awarded New Order prospecting Rights on Vlaklaagte with an inferred resource of 20.1 million tons of coal.
15 April 2010 Wescoal moves its listing to the JSE Main Board, Mining, sub-sector Coal.
December 2009 First coal is mined and extracted from Khanyisa Mine.
October 2009 The mining operations at Heuwelfontein were bought to establish Khanysia Mine near Kendal in Mpumulanga with in situ coal reserves of 4.5 million tons.
3 June 2008 Wescoal purchased prospecting rights from Proudafrique.
10 April 2008 Wescoal purchased prospecting rights from Vusela and Razorbill.
1 April 2008 Chandler purchased the business of Atlantis and Express.
14 March 2007 Mineral Recoveries acquired the technology license to upsize coal fines into saleable products.
1 April 2005 Abrina acquired 100% of the shares in Chandler, in a “share-for-share deal”. The Abrina name was changed to Wescoal Holdings Limited on 14 June 2005 and Wescoal Holdings Limited listed successfully on the AltX Board of the JSE on 20 July 2005.
3 March 2005

A Shelf Company, Abrina, was registered to:

  • become the listed holding public Company;
  • acquire the entire issued share capital of Chandler; and
  • facilitate the BEE shareholding of Fikza.
1 October 2004
Chandler acquired a 34% interest in Wesmine from Hilkru. Wesmine’s main business is coal beneficiation. Wescoal acquired the remaining 66% shareholding from Hilkru on 18 July 2005, after which Wesmine became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Wescoal.
3 June 1998
Chandler acquired 100% of Blanford, a property holding Company, which owns the property where the head office of the Group is situated.
26 August 1996 Chandler was incorporated to purchase the Chandler coal trading and logistics business and other assets from the Chandler family.